As you get ready for your annual air conditioner service this season, take a minute to consider calculating the amount that you spend on heating and cooling annually. Then, think about the last time you’ve gone around and checked for leaky doors and windows. It’s something that nearly all homes have to put up with, but there is a large portion of money going between the cracks, going out the window – literally.
However, the majority of the cracks and leaks can be easily handled on your own, helping you save money year-round. Plus, it can help you boost the bonuses of your annual air conditioner service too, helping you potentially hold on to more cool air while helping to boost energy efficiency and your comfort.
So where should you search for those annoying leaks?
Attics are known for allowing the most air out of your home, so check these specific areas while up in your attic:
- Stud cavities around your home may be open, or uninsulated, meaning air can easily leak out, leaving you with a less-than-comfortable home and significantly impacting your energy efficiency as well. If you want to get the most out of your annual air conditioner service, make sure you fill these cavities to better insulate your home.
- Recessed lights usually have vents that open in to the attic, which leaves the door open for cool air loss. Make sure your lights come previously sealed or add an airtight baffle to take care of the concern on unsealed lights.
- Attic access doors typically aren’t thought of when you replace or install weatherstripping to other windows or doors around your house but can let quite a bit of cool air escape in to your attic.
All house openings.
Windows and doors are typically the key culprits for losing cool air, and rightfully so.
- Check to ensure the weatherstripping on all of your doors is in working order and is not cracked or torn. If it is, replace it.
- Look at the perimeter of all of your home’s windows, both in and outdoor, inspecting the caulking. It’s easy to use a caulking gun to plug any gaps you find.
- If your home has a chimney, ensure any holes around the flue or chimney itself are properly covered with aluminum flashing to prevent air flow.
The host of ways you can get the most out of your annual air conditioner service dollars is pretty long, but if you take a little time to tackle the list we’ve outlined, you can possibly make your home more efficient and more comfortable. If you have any questions about these pointers or are just looking to set up air conditioner service, give Cool Air Solutions a call at 951-299-9853 or schedule an appointment online.