Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Cool Air Solutions in Murrieta about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the amount of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Cool Air Solutions. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Cool Air Solutions about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Murrieta home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Cool Air Solutions a call at 951-299-9853.