While winter seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at 951-299-9853. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Murrieta weather.